Monday, February 22, 2010

Wow!

How long has it been? Geez. Sorry folks. I haven't meant to be gone for so long but with facebook I feel like I keep up with folks just as well there as I would on a blog. Not much is happening. How about an update?

I'm still sort of unemployed. I've been working at H&R Block in t-town since December. I took their little class in the fall and when tax season rolled around the owner ended up hiring three of us out of the class. The money is pretty good but the hours can stink (Saturdays and 9-8 some days), but it's something. I wish this job lasted all thru the year because I really kind of like it. Even tho I could totally be a hermit, I'm actually pretty good at working with people. So for now I'm working a little part time and drawing what's left of my unemployment which will run out in May unless the President decides to extend it again.

I feel as if my life is pretty much on hold while I look for a full time job. Tony and I would love to start "trying" but I'm scared about affording a baby. We want to do things with our friends and plan vacations but money is so tight that we can't afford it and I don't want to make plans in case I start working somewhere. It's hard for Tony to understand just how tight money is because I handle all the bills. And I don't want to shove it in his face all the time. It's really frustrating. I've thought about going into teaching. I've thought about going back to school. But nothing really draws me. Nothing really excites me. I would rather not go back into newspaper just because that industry is seeing so many cuts right now and I don't expect those to end any time soon. I feel like such a loser but I'm a smart kid. I should be doing smart things, right?

Since I last updated Dad's condition has gotten worse. Since Christmas he hasn't gotten out of the house except to go to the doctor. It's probably been a month or more since he was able to come to church. And that's saying a lot for my dad who was there every time the doors were opened. The winter has really hit him hard. He sleeps a lot and doesn't get much exercise and is only eating two meals a day. God bless my mother. She has been amazing thru all of this. I know it's exhausting for her and I'm the only one she really confides totally in. There are a lot of things that she and I discuss only amongst ourselves. At times like this a close family can be a help and it can be a burden. They want to help and they offer advice but they don't really know what it's like.

The chemo pills he was on aren't quite doing the job that the oncologist had hoped they would do. So he's switched Dad's meds. We're hoping that these won't have too many nasty side affects. We're hoping that when the weather gets better that Dad can get out in the sunshine and get a little exercise. He was so weak a few weeks ago that his GP prescribed some physical therapy along with some extra vitamin c and iron. So far they are helping and he is getting a little stronger. We're praying that his health and spirits will continue to improve.

So now I think I know why I haven't updated in so long. Things are pretty gloomy, eh? I really don't mean to be a Debby Downer but I feel like it's important not to sugar coat anything. With that being said, how about I talk about some of the good happy things that are in my life?

There's my husband. Even tho we may hit a little speed bump every once in a while, I truly think he's turning into a great husband. I have to remind myself that he's only 24. He's not at the same place that I am. He's adjusting to think more about us and our future and learning how to set realistic goals. We're still having a great time together and I love him more than I ever thought I could.

Next is our "furry babies" - Penny and Stella. They are so much fun and it still amazes me how well a dog and cat can get along. When we take Penny out to go potty, Stella will meow so loud that we can actually hear her outside. That's how bad she misses her big sister. It cracks us up.

We have great friends. I'm so excited about Sallie and Nick getting married this summer. It's great when girls grow up and have boyfriends/husbands and they all get along. Nick is a great guy and we're glad he's in our little group of friends.

Well I guess that's enough updating for now. I'm actually at work on a slow afternoon and I should try to do something a little more productive. I'll try my best to update more often and try to be more positive with my posts. :-)

No comments: