We finally gave in and bought a new TV. Tony's TV started doing this blinking thing a few weeks ago and it's been driving us nuts. We had talked about eventually upgrading to a flat screen but we didn't know we'd need to do it so soon. That's what credit cards are for right? So last week it got really bad - the screen was blinking off and on every minute or so even when the tv had been turned on for hours - and we decided to do some shopping. We wanted a size close to what we already had and we pretty much knew what brand we wanted. So really we were just looking for the best deal. We found what we wanted at Wal-Mart and I checked on line to see what the availability was at the Trumann and J'boro stores. It said there was a "limited" number of what we wanted at the Trumann store and one of the J'boro stores. But something told me that they just wouldn't have it at Trumann. Early Saturday afternoon, my mom was shopping and talking to me on her cell phone. So I asked her to check while she was there. Turns out I was right and they were out of stock in Trumann. After finding that out we just decided to go straight to J'boro to pick up our new TV. But first we had to do something with the old one.

Here it is. I don't know if you can tell from the pic but it is a monster of a television. It's old and big and according to Tony weighs about 400 lbs. That might be an exaggeration. All I know is that it took Tony and Roy to pick it up and both of them were struggling. You should've seen them when we were moving Tony's stuff to Trumann. I thought Roy was going to have a heart attack!

Since we haven't decided what to do with it yet, the boys rolled the old TV (yes, rolled) down the hallway and into the front bedroom. It's hanging out in there now with our spare bed, the remaining yard sale items and some left-overs from the wedding. It'll probably stay there until we move. The thing is huge!
Anyway... after moving the TV into the spare bedroom and playing with the super babies, Tony and I were ready to go make our High-def purchase. We hit the road and were all excited about taking home a new TV that wouldn't blink. But when we got to the Wal-Mart store on Parker Road we were informed that they were out of the Vizio 42" televisions too. We asked the sales associate in electronics to check the other stores in the area. Her first response... "It says that Trumann has two." Uh huh. We asked her to keep checking. The computer told her that Paragould had four. We asked her to call the store to see if they could physically put their hands on one. Forgive us if we were a little doubtful at this point. She did and had them hold one in our name until we could get over there.
Tony flew across town and we were on our way to Paragould in record time. But it was still almost 9 o'clock by the time we got there, checked out and loaded the new TV into the car. AND I still had to go to the church and make the bulletins for Sunday's services! So we headed back to Trumann, stopped at Sonic for some quick supper and drove over to the church.

When we got home Tony carried the TV inside and we started setting it up. I had no idea that our new TV would give us new channels. We currently don't get cable so we rely on a set of rabbit ears to pick up what little television we watch. With the old TV we got two channels in clearly and about four channels not-so-clearly. Now with the new digital TV we can pick up a ton of digital channels and some of the network channels that we couldn't get before. It's awesome! We got to watch Saturday Night Live for the first time .... ever in our new house. It's great! We love our new TV! My folks came over last night to check it out. Dad sat on the couch, watch for a while and then declared that he and Mom need to look into getting one too. Tony and I cracked up.
1 comment:
I think Best Buy will take the TV and recycle -- they have a new program -- and I'm pretty sure you can do it w/o making a purchase!
Post a Comment