Monday, June 16, 2008
My dad
Happy Father's Day a day late to all of those daddies out there. Yesterday Tony and I had lunch with my folks after church. Dad wore the new shirt and tie that I gave him as gifts on Saturday. He looked so cute! I should've taken a picture! These days Dad is wearing a smaller size than normal. With all that he's been thru, some weight loss is to be expected. My dad now weighs around 210. Before last summer he wore XXL shirts and size 40 pants. Now he can wear a large or XL and 36's fit him comfortably.
I have been so blessed to grow up with such an amazing daddy. Not only has he taught me about right and wrong but he's done it with kindness and humor. As a child I was never told "no" but "I wish you wouldn't." When my grandfather died, Dad had to take on the father figure role in the family. Even tho he was barely out of his teens. When he and mom sat down to talk to me about his brain tumor last July he asked if I was okay. My dad is a deacon at our church and is an incredible man of faith. He's the strongest person I have, or will ever know.
The day I got married, Dad could barely look at me and I avoided eye contact with him. We both knew that we were better off just not talking about it. I was so proud that he was in such good health when March finally got here. God's timing is perfect! I put off planning things for a long time simply because I just didn't know what Dad's health would be like. After all the surgeries and drugs and treatments... there was no way to know. I cried and worried and prayed about it more than anyone will ever know. But it just so happened that Dad started getting stronger at the beginning of the year. He started getting more exercise and eating better. And on March 15th, my daddy walked with me down the aisle just the way he was meant to do. My parents mean so much to me and even tho I'm married now, I'll always be my daddy's little girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment