Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Indians vs Red Wolves

ASU's going thru a major change. Due to the NCAA's demands, Arkansas State finally gave up the Indians mascot. It wasn't easy. At first the community and alumni, including yours truly, was very vocal about their opinion that the Indians should remain as Arkansas State's mascot. But the NCAA really put their foot down and declared that all schools with "offensive" mascots would have special rules and wouldn't be able to host events and blah blah blah...

Back in the spring a university committee decided that Red Wolves should be the new mascot. They worked with a marketing firm and came up with a new logo. Some say it looks a little like the Memphis Grizzlies logo. You decide. I think it's just the eyes.... but at least it's red, black and fierce looking.















Anyway, seeing how everything on the Arkansas State campus is Indian themed and named Indian-this and Indian-that now all of that stuff has to be replaced/renamed. Including the football stadium which of course was appropriately named INDIAN Stadium. Over the weekend Tony and I were out running errands and we drove by campus. We saw what looks like scaffolding under the press box of the stadium. I guess they're trying to get things ready before football season. I made Tony drive over so I could get a few pictures for the ol' scrapbook.



I still haven't heard what they'll call the stadium. Red Wolves Stadium? It doesn't quite roll off the tongue. All I know is that they've got their work cut out for them with all the logos and Indian stuff all over the place. I wonder how much the name change is going to cost the University. I'm sure they'll just add it on to tuition.

It kind of sucks that even tho it's not the students' fault they'll be the ones to pay. It's always been like that. For instance I paid extra fees during my years at ASU to pay for a new Student Union. Did I ever see the new Student Union? No. When was it finally finished and ready for students to use? The year after I graduated. I'm sure it's the same way at all colleges but we all have a right to voice our frustrations. Even tho ASU frustrated me on more than on occasion, it's still home. I value my memories at ASU even more than those from THS. I wouldn't trade them or the friends that I made for anything in the world.

No comments: