Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Wow... a month already?

So I've been out of work for a little over a month and what do I have to show for it? Not a lot. I've enjoyed my time off but I feel like I need to be more productive. I don't want to start a job and look back on my time off and be upset because I didn't take advantage of all the free time. So last night I made a couple of lists. (in case you didn't already know - i heart lists) The first list was titled "Productiveness - at home". I came up with all the stuff that I wanted to do around the house and with our finances. I want to get rid of some of the stuff that we don't use and get our spare bedrooms in good shape so that we can actually use them. Second list - "Productiveness - at Mom and Dad's". My parents .... how should I put this ... like to hang on to things. They're just a part of that generation that came from a time where they grew up with nothing. They had to hold on to and take care of everything they had because who knew when they'd be able to afford to replace it. But as adults my folks made a decent living for themselves. Yet they still hold on to everything even when it's broke/doesn't fit/isn't in style/doesn't work/etc... because they spent good money on it and there's a part of them that still thinks they should keep things because they might come in handy down the road. Unfortunately, this philosophy has been passed down to their daughter. I just haven't had as much time to accumulate as much stuff as they have. Long story short: there's a lot of de-cluttering and organizing that needs to be done. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

amber c. said...

good luck! a good thing to start pre-kids because once they're here your free moments become about five minutes long!!