Monday, April 12, 2010

New Job and other news....

So I've been working at Fire Protection of Arkansas for about a month now. So sorry I haven't posted about it yet. It's kind of funny how I ended up with this job. I have a cousin who is engaged to the boss's step-daughter here at FPOA. When my cousin's mother heard that they were looking for a new office girl she suggested me. So I went by and filled out an application. They offered me the job later that afternoon.

At first the timing was a little crazy. For almost a year I'd been able to spend time with my parents and just at the point when we were facing a major hurdle and Mom needed my help the most... I was going back to work. I felt guilty about going back to working full time again but I had to. The job isn't what I have always dreamt of doing - I'm the secretary/admin asst/accts receivable/etc - but the money isn't too bad for this type of thing. And I love that I'm working at a family business. Everyone here is connected here somehow. If they aren't family then it's extended family or church family or high school classmates. Plus the company is doing well and I'm learning new things. I just wish they had benefits. Guess I'll just hang on to my old insurance as long as that cobra assistance is still going.

I'm afraid I don't have much good news to report on Dad's condition. Mom is struggling but making it. She's getting lots of help with in-home therapists and nurses and the family of course has been pitching in. Mom's major concern now is getting Dad to eat and take his meds. He's starting to refuse both. It's so frustrating! We're just trying to take it one day at a time.

Tony's schedule has recently picked up. Baseball season is officially here and he's back working the local umpire circuit. He decided to get ASA certified this year which means he can do softball games and tournaments along with regular little league. He's already done a few tournaments and it's only the second week of April. He loves his "summer job" and I'm so glad that he's found a hobby that he really enjoys and one that can make him extra money to boot.

It's wedding season again. One of my best gals from high school is getting hitched over the Fourth of July holiday and one of my best gals from college/post college just got engaged! Congrats to Kat and Oliver! Can't wait to hear all about her plans. Hopefully I can re-pay her the kindness she showed me when Tony and I got engaged and started planning a wedding. Not that she'll need any help. She is a super-duper event planner!

So I think now we're pretty much caught up. I'd better get back to work. The boss just came back in, lol. As soon as I get the hang of this new job I should be able to update more... maybe.....

1 comment:

rae said...

Yay for an update!! I need to update my blog!