Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Hello Third Trimester!

I realized the other day that I didn't blog about my last doc appointment. I've been so busy lately at work that I just haven't had time. And also, I just started my third trimester! Scary!

Before I get started I'd like to say that yesterday was a good baby-news type of day. One of my cousins gave birth to a healthy little girl named Fallon and my SIL got a good report from her specialist. Little Jaxson is still growing right on schedule and there are no new symptoms of spina bifida. She goes back in 6 weeks to discuss admissions and plans for delivery.

So at my last doc appointment - July 21st - I had my glucose test. They make you drink this stuff called glucola that's super sweet and they test your blood to make sure you don't have any signs of gestational diabetes. I felt pretty confident that my test would come out okay and I was right. My sugar was just fine. However, my hemoglobin levels were a little low so they prescribed me some iron pills to take in addition to my prenatal vitamin. I've been told before that I'm a borderline anemic so I wasn't surprised when they said I needed iron. No biggie. I will happily take two extra pills a day.

Another thing that happened at my doc visit was I found out I'd lost a pound. Yippee! Most pregnant women don't get excited about losing weight but I'm really proud. I've been really worried about being so overweight and pregnant. This puts me at a total gain of only 4.5lbs so far. The doc told me that I was doing good so far and not to blow it towards the end, lol. He gave me a list of things to try and avoid - sugar, sweets, pasta, potatoes, rice, salt - and I can't say that I'm doing such a good job at it. What did we have for supper the night of my doc appointment? Sliders, fried potatoes and brownies for dessert. :-) I've been all about desserts and chocolate lately. Hopefully I can keep myself from going overboard.

Do I look pregnant yet? Most of the time I think I look as if I just have a beer gut. Tony tells me I'm silly and that my bump is much to high too be a beer gut. But I still worry that people think I'm just extra fat instead of pregnant. I ordered a couple of maternity dresses online and the giraffe print dress I'm wearing in the pic above is one of them. I'm thinking it might be good to wear to a baby shower. I also got a deep purple dress that is cute and super comfy. I wore it to church last Sunday and I think I could wear it every single day. It could be my one-outfit-forever.

Other than that things are going smooth. My only complaints are typical pregnant lady issues. I have to pee every 15 min. It takes me a half hour or more to cool off after coming inside out of the heat. At work I go out to the shop and stand directly in front of one of the shop fans. When I get in from work I strip down and run around the house half naked for a couple of hours. I'm starting to have a little trouble bending over and getting up out of deep chairs. Shaving my legs is also getting more difficult. I'm swelling a little bit but my ankles started swelling back in April (stupid Arkansas heat) so I'm used to it and have figured out how to handle it. I bought a fake wedding ring to wear on the days when my hands are too swollen for my regular rings.


Another thing I forgot to mention is that last Wednesday was my sweet hubby's birthday. We have a bit of a tradition where we go to a Redbirds game with our Memphis pals to celebrate his birthday. So on Saturday we drove to Memphis and did a little shopping and then met up with the gang downtown. I usually buy tickets online because they're cheaper and I get to pick where we sit. But there was a threat of rain and Tony was worried about me handling the heat so we waited to buy the tickets at the gate. I don't think we'll ever do that again. I hate the waiting almost as much as the heat. But we had a great time anyway! After the game and fireworks we went down to Kooky Canuk (formerly Big Foot) for a late dinner. It was a fabulous day and the birthday boy (and his wife) had a great time.

1 comment:

amber c. said...

You look great! Glad you're feeling pretty well too! Not much longer now!! :)