Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Fair

I've worked at some pretty fun places with great perks in my short lifetime. The Advertising Departments were really the best! We used to get free stuff (tickets, t-shirts, gift cards, food...etc) all the time when I was at the CA and MBJ. I doubt newspapers are that generous with their staffers these days with the economy in the shape that it is. But it turns out working at FPOA can come in handy every once in a while too.



We provide the extinguishers and service the fire suppression equipment at the fairgrounds here in Jonesboro. And the boss has worked it out so that in return for said services everyone at the J'boro and Paragould offices get free tickets to the Northeast Arkansas District Fair. I have not always been crazy about the fair here in J'boro. I used to love it when I was a kid and wanted to go just to ride the rides. But as I got older I grew a little wary of those rides. As Tony says.... I've seen the people who put those things together.


So after my teenage years I really didn't care much for the fair. But now I appreciate it for different reasons. I like all the booths with free stuff and the crafty things with blue ribbons and the giant pumpkins. And I especially like it for the food. Around five years ago a big group of us went to the Mid-South Fair in Memphis and discovered the new deep-fried-everything trend. You know - Twinkies, Snickers bars and my personal favorite Oreos. Ever since then I've been in love with the deep fried Oreos. They are just the best!


Since I've been all about sweets and chocolate during this stage of my pregnancy, I was super excited about the Oreos this year. So last night after Tony and I made our way thru the buildings and checked everything out we hit the midway in search of my favorite fair treat. Turns out they were in the exact same spot as last year. Score! Tony walked right up to the trailer and ordered our plate of Oreos to share. He got us some lemonade to go along with our snack too. It was delicious! Just looking at that pic makes me want more. I could eat those all over again!

No comments: