Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Walgreens Rant


I think I've mentioned before that I'm taking an extra iron vitamin twice a day right? Since I'm borderline anemic and all. Anyway... I get these super iron vitamins by prescription and I had the doc call them in to Walgreens since there's one just down the road from the shop.


The first time I went to pick these up the pharmacy acted like I was crazy. Turns out they didn't see the fax that had been sent over by the Women's Clinic. That was a little bit of a hassle but whatever.


Then last week I used the walgreens app on my phone to renew my prescription. It's pretty neat. It lets you put in what day and time you want to pick up your meds. I put the order in mid-morning and since I was planning on going over there during my lunch break I requested that it be ready by noon. When I got there at 12:30 the gal told me it wasn't ready and I'd need to wait 15 min. That would mean spending my entire lunch break at Walgreens without getting any lunch. That wasn't going to happen. So I left and came back after work to pick them up. Then when I finally did get my prescription it was only for 10 pills. !?!? That's only five days worth of iron. I have a bunch of refills left since I'm going to be taking these even after the baby is born so I don't know why they could only give me 10. Especially when the first bottle I got had 30 days worth. Crazy!


Since they had such a hard time putting my stuff together last week, I decided yesterday that I would renew my prescription early and request that they have it ready by 10 a.m. today. That way it would hopefully be ready by noon and I wouldn't have to wait. Guess what. When I got to the pharmacy counter today they couldn't find my stuff. Turns out they MAILED IT. The girl working the counter told me that when they have something sitting for a long time with no co-pay they just put it in the mail. First of all, I do have a co-pay. It's not a lot (I think last week it was .50 cents for my 10 vitamins) but I still owe something. Second of all, it couldn't have been sitting there a long time. I requested that it be filled for pick up at 10 a.m. It had been there all of what .... two hours? *rolls eyes*


My mom has been having issues with Walgreens lately too. A week or two ago she needed something for her sinus/allergy problems. She likes Zyrtec D but they never have it at the big box stores so she thought she'd go straight to Walgreens. She couldn't find it on the shelf anywhere. Not even the generic kind. So she went back to the pharmacy to ask if they were out of the little cards and maybe had some behind the counter. They asked if she had a prescription. And when she told them no, they said they couldn't sell it to her. Apparently there's a new law that says you have to have a prescription to get drugs like Zyrtec D even tho it used to be sold over the counter. She was disappointed that she couldn't get her Zyrtec but she had some other things that she had picked up and went to the front register to check out. On the way there she picked up one of the little reuseable shopping bags that you can buy for $1. When the clerk tried to ring her up she told Mom that she couldn't sell her a bag. So not only did Walgreens refuse to sell her drugs but they wouldn't let her buy a bag either.


I think we need to sit down and have a serious talk with these Walgreens people. They really need to get their act together.


Okay... that's the end of my rant for today...

3 comments:

rae said...

Walgreens is horrible. We don't use their pharmacy or photo department and try not to enter the store any more because of similar experiences!

Sallie said...

OMG, I used to use Walgreens all the time and starting this summer, I have had nothing but bad experiences with them. I've switched to our grocery store's pharmacy, it just got to be too much.

Tara said...

AND Mom told me yesterday that she was in Target shopping and just happened to walk past the pharmacy dept. They had the cards for Allegra-D and Zyrtec-D sitting on their counter. How is it that one store can sell to non-prescription customers and the other can't?
SO frustrating!