Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Tree traditions

I don't decorate my Christmas tree with a theme or particular color scheme. That's too much work for me, lol. But i have always tried to fill it with ornaments that mean something. There are definitely some filler ornaments like little silver balls. But for the most part all of the ornaments on our tree are meaningful and have sentimental value to us. We have ornaments from our childhoods, I have ornaments that were given to me by sorority siblings in college and Tony has some that belonged to his late uncle John. I also have an ornament that actually came from one if the flower arrangements from Daddy's funeral. It's really a white dove on a floral pick and not a "traditional" ornament. But it's something I can use to decorate with at Christmas time and feel like I'm keeping a little bit of my dad's memory around too.
Then there are the ornaments we've collected since we've been together. Every year I get us a personalized ornament with our names on it and I get ornaments for the pets too. This year we got to add Darby's name to our family ornament. I picked it out the day we did the Santa pics. I think it'll be right at home with our little holiday collection!

2 comments:

rae said...

I love it! Very cute!

Sallie said...

We decorate our tree the same way. It seems silly to spend tons of money on tree decorations that don't mean anything, sit out for a month or so, and half of the time don't get used again. I love getting all of the sentimental ornaments out of the boxes every year. So many memories.

Our tree (a live one) came with this awkward branch that sticks out that apparently got missed when the tree went through the trimmer. I wouldn't let Nick cut it off, the bottle cap snowmen you gave us fit perfectly on it! :-)