Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An anniversary

One year ago last week my father was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma. Our lives were forever changed on July 18th, 2007 when the doctors broke the news that not only would Dad's left kidney need to be removed, but there was also a tumor in his brain that would need to be operated on immediately. He had brain surgery two days later on July 20th.

I remember everything that happened last July like it was yesterday. Sometimes I think I need to write it all down so that I won't forget. That it would be good for me to get it all down on paper - or on my blog. But whenever I think about those days and everything that happened I start to tear up all over again. Maybe I should pick a place other than work to tackle that task.
I've even thought about starting a blog about my dad. Just putting everything out there so that friends and family who are out of town can keep up with his progress. But I don't see him every day and I don't get to go on any of the doctor visits with him. So it might be better if my mom were to keep up with the blog but I'm not sure if she'd be comfortable handling all of that.
I haven't always been that open about all of Dad's procedures and treatments with co-workers and friends. It was just easier that way. When you or your family is going thru something like this it's hard enough to handle things yourself without having to help others understand what's going on. For a long time I avoided the Trumann Wal-Mart because I knew I would run into people who knew Dad and would ask lots of questions about him. Mom was the same way. So on second thought maybe the blog wouldn't be a great assignment for her.

I thought about going thru the story of how things happened or posting a time line with all of Dad's surgeries and treatments. It really is staggering what all his body has been thru. But I think right now I'm only going to focus on how incredible it is that he is alive. We truly have been blessed.
Last night I went over to my parents' house after work. Dad was out in the front yard washing his truck. He was wearing that straw hat that I love so much on him. He's getting the truck cleaned up so that it will look nice next week when it pulls our fifth wheel camper to Many Islands for the family reunion. He's so excited to go this year. He had to stay home last August due to doctor's orders. I think that was the first time he had ever missed the reunion. Mom and I are still a little uneasy about him driving the truck and camper around all of those curves in Hardy. But if we need to get someone to help Dad knows that he has a few brothers and nephews along with a son-in-law who are all only seconds away. We're excited. Not only because it's family reunion time but because Dad is doing well enough to go this year. The doctors have told him to take it easy but I know we'll see him out visiting with the cousins all day and every day that he's able.

No comments: