When my dad was first diagnosed with cancer in 2007 Mom quit work. She was glad to be rid of the stress of working in a bank but she missed her co-workers and her regular customers.
Last week, one of the gals she used to work with asked if she would be interested in coming back. They had to let their part-time girl go and needed a replacement as soon as possible. Mom doesn't really need the money and she has already retired. We talked about it and tried to look at both sides. Mom really likes her free time but she misses being out in the world everyday.
We made a pro/con list to help us decide whether or not this was a good idea . She also made a list of what I nick-named "demands".
1. Will not come in earlier than 9 a.m.
2. Must make more than min wage.
3. Will only work thru the summer until Labor Day.
etc..
The next day she met with the girls at the bank, armed with her list of demands, and they pretty much agreed to them all. They're just tickled to have her back. It's so sweet.
So starting Monday my mother will be re-entering the work force. She's nervous and excited about going back. I think it will be good for her as long as she doesn't let it stress her out. As a matter of fact, I think it's pretty darn cute!
1 comment:
I think that is so awesome! So many of the retirees we work with become avid volunteers because they miss the "structure" of being in the work force.
And if she doesn't need the money, she can always donate to the "I Love My Daughter" fund. I tried that on my mom, but so far no dice. LOL
Post a Comment