Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Need for Bumpers

A week or so ago I came in to find Darby in her crib, sleeping like this .....






Crazy, right? She's done it several times too! I know lots of website and blogs look down on crib bumpers but whatever. I know some people think that they're dangerous and could cause the baby to suffocate. But this wiggly baby could not be smothered by a lightweight bumper. She could easily escape that without even breaking a sweat! After this incident, I got Darby's bumpers out and put them up. Know what? She still manages to get her little foot under the bumper and thru the slats of her crib. She did it this morning but I didn't have my phone or camera handy to catch her in the act.

We had a bit of a time with Darby yesterday and I'm afraid Tony had to catch the worst of it. I've been trying to give my mom some extra time away from us so that she can take a breather and get some of Poppaw's stuff taken care of. Since Tony was so great at keeping her with him at the Flea Market I asked if he could handle her maybe one day a week. Last week his Mom was taking a day off work from her full time so she was able to take Darby if she got fussy or the store got busy. Tony was all alone yesterday and he had a bit of a hard time. The store was busy and Darby insisted on being held. Her mouth is really hurting her this week and she hasn't been napping well even when she's at home. She hardly napped with Tony and then last night when we all got home she was in so much pain that we couldn't get her to go to sleep. Painful gums and being overtired is a horrible combination! Thank heaven for baby Tylenol. It was the only thing that settled her down. Before that we tried teething tablets, a bottle, cold teething toys straight from the fridge and baby orajel. Nothing helped but the Tylenol.


The good news is once Tony rocked her to sleep she slept really well thru the night (8:30 p.m. to 7 a.m.) and was in a super happy mood this morning. While I was getting ready I heard her making noises in her room so I went to check on her and found her playing in her crib. She looked up and gave me one of those super sweet smiles and it made me so happy I almost cried. Guess I'll spend the rest of the day googling advice for comforting teething babies.

No comments: